Riding on a M-DCPS school bus is an extension of the regular school day. Behavior on the bus should correspond with the behavior that is expected in the classroom.
- Students must be at their bus stops at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled pick-up time. Students must stand in clear vision of the approaching bus. Students will enter and leave the bus at the school loading and unloading zones and at student stops in an orderly fashion and in accordance with instructions. This requires students to proceed at all times:
- Without haste, loitering, crowding, pushing, or shoving.
- With each student showing due regard for the safety of the student, as well as for others.
- Students will remain quiet enough so as not to distract the driver’s attention from the road. Students must at all times:
- Refrain from shouting, using profanity and other boisterous activities.
- Refrain from talking to the driver while the bus is in motion except in an emergency.
- Show due consideration for the driver and the driver’s responsibilities.
- Refrain from any activity that worries or distracts the driver.
- Students will remain seated throughout the entire route until they arrive at their scheduled stop.
- Each student must go directly to the assigned seat and sit down as soon as possible after entering the bus.
- Each student must remain seated until the bus has come to a full stop.
- Students will cross the road only in front of the bus when traffic has been halted by means of the flashing red lights and the extended stop arm.
- Students will neither purposely nor carelessly destroy any part of the bus, its equipment or the area surrounding the bus stop.
- Students will not extend arms or other parts of their body out of the windows.
- Students are not to throw objects inside the bus or out the windows.
- Waste paper and other refuse is not to be scattered on the bus floor or along the roadway.
- Books, lunch boxes, and other personal property should be kept on each student’s lap. If there is sufficient room, it may be placed on the seat alongside the student.
- The entrance area alongside the driver, which is forward of the front seat, must be kept clear and passengers are not permitted to sit or stand in this area while the bus is in motion.
- Students should know their bus route number, bus drier’s name and the location of their bus stop.
- Weather, traffic conditions, or other factors may affect the timeliness of the bus. Students should wait a reasonable amount of time after their assigned pick-up time before calling the school for assistance.
- Students are not to be used as bus monitors.
Infractions of the above rules will be brought to the attention of the student’s parent/guardian. Continual abuse of bus privileges will result in the denial of transportation. We sincerely hope you realize that these measures will be implemented in the attempt to provide the best possible safety conditions for each child.