AVID is a fourth- through twelfth-grade system to prepare students in the academic middle for four-year college eligibility. It has a proven track record in bringing out the best in students, and in closing the achievement gap. AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination.
The mission of AVID is to ensure that all students, and most especially the least served students who are in the middle:
- Will suceed in rigorous curriculum
- Will complete a rigorous college perparatory path
- Will enter mainstrwam activities of the school
- Will increase their enrollment in four year colleges
- Will become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society
What AVID is...
- AVID is an acronym that stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination.
- AVID is an in-school academic support program for grades 4-12 that prepares students for college eligibility and success.
- AVID places academically average students in advanced classes.
- AVID levels the playing field for minority, rural, low-income and other students without a college-going tradition in their families.
- AVID is for all students, but it targets those in the academic middle.
- AVID is implemented schoolwide and districtwide.
What AVID isn't...
- AVID isn't a remedial program.
- AVID isn't a free ride.
- AVID isn't a niche program.
- AVID isn't a college outreach program
For more information about AVID, click here