Miami Beach Senior High School
Course Title: Naval Science 1
Course Number: 1802300
Instructor: HM1 Ronald Hunter
Goal: The purpose of this course is to introduce students to the precepts of citizenship, the elements of leadership, and the value of scholarships in attaining life goals. This course will also enable students to develop appreciation for the heritage and traditions of America, to recognize the importance of the role of sea power in America's future, and to develop a sense of pride in his/her organization, associates, and self. These elements are pursued at a fundamental level.
Navy JROTC have the following basic objectives:
- Promote patriotism.
- Develop informed and responsible citizens.
- Promote habits of orderliness and precision, and develop respect for constituted authority.
- Develop a high degree of personal honor, self-reliance, individual discipline, and leadership.
- Develop an interest in the military service as a possible career.
- Introduction to the NJROTC program, its missions, goals and objectives
- Military Drill Ceremonies
- Uniform Inspection and Trainings
- Physical Fitness Testing and conditioning
- American Heart Association Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Certification
- Instruction in Naval Leadership and Followership traits and principles
- Seaperch Stem Program http://www. Seaperch.org
- Mission and construction of Navy ships/understanding shipboard customs and courtesies
Texts and Materials:
- Introduction to the NAVY Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (White)
- NJROTC Cadet Field Manual (Orange)
- Issued uniforms and shoes
- Lab fees $20.00
- 30% Academic testing
- 30% Uniform and Drill
- 20% Leadership and Aptitude
- 20% Physical Fitness
For more detailed information on course content, visit http://www.cpalms.org/Public/PreviewCourse/Preview/4215
For information on progress reports, report cards and the school calendar, visit